Re: [T3] ATF leak clarifications

On 27 Sep 2002, at 19:51, Daniel Baum wrote:

> To be honest, I have no idea where the governor is or what it looks like,
> but this certainly gives me somewhere to start looking. I pulled the fuel
> line out downwards from the bottom of the car. I suppose it could have
> knocked something off on the way down.

The governor is under a steel cover that is above and ahead of the left output
shaft. It is held in place by a steel spring bail and sealed by an O-ring. This
O-ring commonly leaks and needs to be replaced.

> My apocalyptic hypothesis is this: Fuel was leaking through the hose for 15
> years, and gradually dissolved some rubber seal somewhere. However, the
> actual hose itself continued to block the leak. When I removed the hose it
> all started splurting out. I hope I'm wrong.

Doesn't seem likely. When the car is off, the AT level is really quite low in
the AT pan, somwhere in the vicinity of the pan gasket. Russ, do you know
where the static level is?

Could it have been gas that was just coming out of the tube in the tunnel and
washing dirt off the tranny on its way down?