Re: [T3] ATF leak, HELP!!!

On 27 Sep 2002, at 18:26, Daniel Baum wrote:

> I was working on my current subproject today, which is overhauling the fuel
> system - rebuilding the carbs and replacing the fuel lines. I drained the fuel
> tank, and removed the fuel pump to floor pan fuel line. As soon as I did this,
> HUGE amounts of ATF started leaking from the tranny. I had to stop working
> because it got dark, and it may be a day or two before I get the chance to work
> on the car again, by which time it will certainly have completely drained. I
> have not yet replaced the fuel lines.
>
> What possible connection can there be between removing the fuel lines and an ATF
> leak? What have I done ??!!

Shouldn't be any connection. Is it possible that in the approaching darkness
you pulled the vacuum hose off the vacuum modulator on the AT? This hose
often gets ATF and motor oil in it and which can drain out quickly but briefly.
If it's not that, tell us WHERE the ATF is leaking out.

> PS (Mostly for Steven Ayres): Judging by the speed with which the fuel
> drained from the tank, I very much doubt that there is a blockage there.
> There was a constant stream of petrol until the tank was empty.

A good healthy stream is a very good sign.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054