Re: [T3] lubricating a throw out bearing

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 12:14, phil cain wrote:
> Wouldn't it be bad to go to all that trouble and find
> out that the sealed bearings are making the noise and
> not the plastic facing on the throw out bearing. the
> engine can be pulled and put back in before you can
> get the hole drilled in the transmission case.I have
> seen this done(3/8 hole and oil) and it never seemed
> to stop the noise for very long.  Phil

The orginal bearings had a teflon coating on the face. If there was a
slight mis-aligned concentricity between the pressure plate and the T/O
bearing, they would make noise. You could replace the T/O bearing and
not have any guarentee that it would fix the problem. We ran into this
problem back in the '60's and would spray them with moly grease first.
If that didn't fix the noise, we would replace the bearing, and coat it
with moly.

--
Russ Wolfe
'66 FB MT (It drove)