Re: [T3] Help, The Baroness is driving me crazy!

On 26 Sep 2002, at 20:09, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> I have a 71, automatic, fuel injected, squareback.  (The Baroness).
> She's making me crazy.  It's very hard to start her in the morning.  I
> have to pump the gas pedal while I turn the key.  Then I have to rev the
> engine in neutral for a long time, or she stalls.

This should be a very nice car. There's something wrong that your shop
hasn't looked for. Here are some places to look:

1) Timing should be set to TDC, the leftmost mark on the pulley, which
should look like:   |    | | |. Make sure that both the vacuum and mechanical
advances are working smoothly.

2) The charging system regulating voltage should be 14.1-14.4V. If it is less
than 13.5V (measured above 2000 rpm, after a drive to warm it up) replace
the voltage regulator with a genuine Bosch.)

3) When you get in the car and turn the key ON you should hear a relay
click and then another click ~1 second later. Do you hear both of these?

4) There is a gas strainer in the bottom of the tank and a filter under the tank.
If either of these is clogged your pump will starve and so will the engine.
There is an "overflow" hose inside the RF fender which is almost certainly
broken. This spills gas out on left turns and lets dirt and water into the gas
tank whenever you drive in dusty or rainy conditions. If yours is leaking it
MUST be fixed or the FI system will be ruined. The original part is NLA, so
you will have to make up something.

5) It is VERY likely that your shop has no idea how to deal with your car.
You're in luck, however. There are a lot of people on this list who live in the
Bay area; one of them might be able to help you out.

To repeat, 71 was a very good year and this should be a very nice car. It
should not take much to get it back to proper running form.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054