Re: [T3] Generator

On 26 Sep 2002, at 10:16, Matthew_Russell@ziba.com wrote:

> my red light comes on dimly at first (but not as soon as i start the car,
> it's usually several minutes before the light starts to come on) then more and
> more solid, and it happens quickly(within a couple minutes) at night with my
> lights on, i haven't had the opportunity to see if it changes at high speed
> cause i don't want to get stuck on the highway.

I would guess that this could only be a failing voltage regulator or a bad
connection. Actually it must be a bad connection, either inside or outside the
VR. The light getting brighter and brighter probably means that this
connection is getting warm and becoming more and more resistive. I'd start
by looking for a loose connection somewhere between the VR, the fuse box,
and the ignition switch. (It might also be IN the ignition switch.)

> does this mean that the brushes are bad in my generator? this is likely
> not a bad connection because of the gradual red light? is the generator
> easy to rebuild? what is involved in that? where can i find a tutorial(if
> i don't yet own a bentley, because of lack of funds)? is it completely
> lazzy and silly to just buy a new one and then rebuild this one later, or
> is that just a waste of money compared to the relative ease of rebuilding
> the one i already have?

I'm sending you my charging system FAQ. You will need a voltmeter to take
advantage of it. I wouldn't recommend that you try to rebuild your own
generator, but you could certainly replace your own brushes. Instructions for
checking and replacing the brushes are in the FAQ.

The FAQ will help you check out the various parts of the charging system
and find out which are working and which are faulty. Don't just start replacing
things; that's a surefire way to waste money while not learning anything
about your car.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org