Re: [T3] grinding into first

In a message dated 9/25/02 8:34:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
jadney@vwtype3.org writes:

<< Yes, type 3s use the same Bowden tube as the beetles. This adjustment
 seldom changes, however. If you have one that is out of adjustment it
 probably means that you just replaced something back there, like the
 transmission or its mount, or that your Bowden tube has rusted out inside
 and is collapsing.

I have had the bowden tube go bad on bugs just with age. The bowden tube
should have a slight curvature in it. If it gets outa adjustment (no
curvature) it will progressively get worse and worse. After a while you won't
be able to shift at all without grinding. I had that problem on a 1949
beetle, which originally came without a bowden tube. One hadda double-clutch
and get used to grinding in first in such a case. Assuming that you don't
want this to happen on a Type 3, you should check
the bowden tube to see if it has the necessary curvature. The curvature
should look
like a flattened "S". If it is straight instead of curved, that is your
likely problem.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com