Re: [T3] Oil light stays on after shutdown?

On 23 Sep 2002, at 11:03, David Hornback wrote:

> Well I decided to do a little trouble shooting and you guys pretty much had it
> correct. I do remember problems that were associated to the voltage reg. when
> the gen. light would stay on while power was killed to the ign. So I decided to
> pull the little blue wire off of the req. and sure enough the wires in back of
> the guage are transposed.

Oh, that's interesting. That's a nice thing to get straightened out.  ;-)

> So we are now taking about the req. being faulty right? Is it a simple
> replacement of the reg. to rectify this? However, note that the light would
> still go out sometimes by itself after a few seconds (with no apparent ill
> effects, yet) and if I turn the ign. off  (and gen. light stays on) if I turn
> the ign back on, give the starter a quick shock of juice (but do not start it)
> then kill the ign. again, the light goes off.
>
> Do I need to change the req. NOW then? Or can I wait for a little while?

What's happening is that the cutout relay contacts in the VR are welding
together. This is no big deal as long as they open up relatively quickly.
Eventually, however they will stay welded shut permanently.

When these contacts are closed, the battery and the generator are
connected in parallel, allowing the generator to charge the battery. But if they
stay closed when the generator stops, the battery will just discharge
backwards thru the generator. The most obvious effect of this is to burn up
the generator.

So I would put this on your short list of things to replace soon.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054