Re: [T3] in restoraton, is replacing the harness necessary?

In a message dated 9/22/02 8:03:44 PM Central Daylight Time,
topnotch@nycap.rr.com writes:

<< Subj:     Re: [T3] in restoraton, is replacing the harness necessary?
 Date:  9/22/02 8:03:44 PM Central Daylight Time
 From:  topnotch@nycap.rr.com (Keith Park)
 Sender:    type3@vwtype3.org
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org

 This is good to know...  I did some minor reconditioning on the one in my
 Notch and reused it but if he makes one up from the old loom  and its not
 the off the shelf stuff then thats the right way to do it.

 Custom changes... Hmmm... I think I just may have hidden that second fusebox
 so well that even the Parma gang didnt find it....  WHEW!!  :-)

 Keith

 > I had mine done by Bob of The Wire Works in Long Beach, whom I met at the
 > Classic, I think. I sent him my old loom and the custom additions I
 wanted,
 > and he quickly sent both old and new back. Beautiful work, excellent
 > quality, great fit and good price. He knows VWs and cares about getting it
 > right. 310-519-8147.
 >
 > Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
 > '66 KG1600

If you don't need a new harness, why replace it? If you do need a new
harness, you
should replace it. It's as simple as that. If your wires are in good shape
and everything works, I'd say forget replacing it.

It's not a simple task to replace a wiring harness. It's a majopr chore.
Anything you can get by with while avoiding replacing the harness, should be
done in lieu of replacing the harness. I have one 1956 beetle that needs a
new harness. Meanwhile,
I have a 1964 Type 34 that doesn't need a harness because the maze of wires
is a mess, but everything works. Rarely does an event judge look under the
dash for correct wires. The Type 34 won one first in class about two years
ago even with a bad harness.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com