Re: [T3] How to lock flex plate

Thomas Ainlay wrote:

How can I lock the flex plate so that the gland nut can
be removed and later re-installed?

Thomas
I have used Lock Tite before and it is very strong
but I have had experiences of it cracking when it gets
old maybe after overheating, when I have gotten to it.
When cracked it did not seem to hold the nut as hard as it should.
Then I used Permatex# 2 , this was a bit mistake. It was
so permanent that I broke part of the nuts head and had to
use a hack saw and a chisel to get it out by chisel
turning. The next and final stuff I used, was Silicon
rubber (the red kind) , this stuff stays mushy after
some good mileage, does not burn or crack. Removal
still needs lots of leverage since it is still torqued
to 250 pounds and this stuff acts as lubricant and it
may get tighter.

My mode of tightening is a big torque wrench with my
breaker pipe/bar or my electric impact wrench from Sears.
To remove, I use my big breaker pipe or the impact wrench.
Reguardless of what I use, the nut is still very very
snug to turn, even if 1/4 is is still inside. This
material would keep the nut from working itself loose.
When the nuts off I can see rubber in the crank hole
and on the nuts thread, got to be cleaned for
reinstallation. This also keeps oil from seeping down the
thread.

These are my two cents, some folks may disagree or be
shocked on what I use.

LEON MARTINEZ

SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA