Re: [T3] Dual 40 DCNF Carbs

On 19 Sep 2002, at 14:43, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> the type 4 FI up to 1973 is the same as the type 3 FI, technically. in
> 1974 the type 4 had AFC-controlled FI available as well, which is
> generally much easier to maintain and robust than the old-style
> vacuum-control system.

It's true that up to 73 the FI in both type 3s and 4s were D-Jetronic. There are
almost NO parts which interchanged between these, however.

The 74 type 4 came with L-Jetronic which was the same family as used on
Beetles. I don't agree that this system is more robust. This has a pivoting air
flap and potentiometer which I find to make this system quite fragile. In my
opinion the L-Jetronic systems are the worst of all FI worlds: They have all
the fragile wiring of the D plus the constantly moving and wearing air flap.

The later K-Jetronic FI as use on Rabbits, etc got almost completely rid of
the electronics which scares off so many people. It's really a pretty good
system.

I still like the D, but it takes some getting used to.