Re: [T3] Metal stripper

In a message dated 9/19/02 8:23:22 AM Central Daylight Time,
dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk writes:

<< Subj:     Re: [T3] Metal stripper
 Date:  9/19/02 8:23:22 AM Central Daylight Time
 From:  dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk (Dave Hall)
 Sender:    type3@vwtype3.org
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org

 > I want to paint my wheels but they have light rust and old black paint
 > on them. Is there anything anyone has used successfully that will strip
 > the old paint and crud off?
 > Ryan

 I've used a wire brush in an angle grinder, but it's not very easy
 particularly with tyre attached.  The best way is with some sort of grit
 blaster - you may find it's not very expensive to get it done for you, and
 it's unlikely they can do anything with the grit that will ruin the wheel -
 unlike a body panel.

 I rubbed some down lightly to save me a bit of time, and the new paint
 lifted some of the old, so it was a waste of time.

 When painting, I sometimes use a short length of copper water pipe around
 the valve to keep it from getting painted, but masking tape is not too
 difficult either.

 Dave.
 UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
 http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/

I have used a product called "Aircraft Remover" to remove old paint (and
bondo) from
a painted surface. One hasta be careful with it and use rubber gloves and a
paint brush. But it will remove virtually anything from a painted surface.
Wheels are best handled by sandblasting, however. Where we have our
sandblasting done, foru wheels will cost about $75 to sandblast.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com