Re: [T3] 72 fasty update- motor rebuild qs -Fenders

On 18 Sep 2002, at 8:16, incynr8 wrote:

> Well, after some travel to Maine and VT, projects finishing up @ work, and my
> poor splitty blowing a head, I will begin again to work on my 72 fasty I
> found. The smoking after warm up (thick white) never ceased, and a knock is
> audible on cyl 3, which shuts up if you stop gas vioa injector wire pull, me
> thinks a wrist pin/piston isn't happy. We are going to yank the 30k OE motor
> and rebuild it. Does an FI type 3 use special pistons? Or are kobelshmidt
> flat tops what I need?

The 72-3 type 3 FI pistons are slightly dished, but flat ones will work fine.
Take a good look at your used ones if they are the original dished ones. With
new rings they might be fine for normal use.

You can check the wrist pin bearings without splitting the case, and you can
even replace them, but if the crank journal is bad you should go ahead and
break everything down and fix it.

> Heads are getting cleaned up with all new valves, probably swivel feet, new
> springs, 3 angle, hand lapped valve job, new tubes and such.

Tubes? Pushrod tubes? If so, good idea. I like the swivel feet, but they take
some significant reworking of the other parts: You have to shorten the
pushrod tubes and clearance the rocker arms. I test and reuse the valve
springs. In 30 years I think I've found only about 3 bad stock valve springs.
They can be rather easily tested against each other by compressing a pair,
in series, in a vice. If one out of the pair compresses significantly more than
the other then it is bad. Use one spring to compare against all the others.

I've also used a drill press and a bathroom scale. Or go to an automotive
machine shop and use their spring tester.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054