[T3] [Repost] Re: [T3] Some carb or ignition problems...

This didn't come through the first time so I am sending it again. Apologies
if anybody gets this twice.

on 17/9/2002 3:18 PM, Dave Hall at dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk wrote:

> I've just checked the '69 AT injection Fastback vehicle analysis (by the UK
> Motor Industry Research Association) and their figures show the vac advance
> for 311 905 205L as 0 at 2000 crankshaft rpm (4" Hg manifold vac),
> increasing linearly to about 10 deg at 3,800 (7.8" Hg manifold vac).
> Centrifugal advance goes from 0deg at 1000 rpm to 20 at 2000, then maxing at
> 30 deg at 2800 rpm.   Fascinating figures, but does it help here?  ;-)
> Clearly it's not with WOT, but partial throttle and above idle engine speed,
> as you said, Jim.

This is very interesting. I just went and did a test on my one:

At idle (approx 850 rpm) there was no vacuum. By cracking the throttle open
just a bit (1000 rpm) it jumped to 5" Hg (120 mmHg). The highest vacuum of
16" Hg (400 mmHg) was at 2300rpm. If I opened the throttle quickly, the
gauge flicked up to about 14" Hg and then settled back to a lower value
depending on rpm.

I am not sure how helpful these are as I put the gauge on the end of the
vacuum hose, I don't know if a tee should have been used with the hose still
hooked up to the distributor?

Anyway the numbers are completely different to your ones, so the
characteristics of the carbed engine's vacuum must be different.

At least I have determined that there is no vacuum at idle, so I should be
able to time it with the hose still on.

Ben Doughney

'75 1200L
'63 1200 - Ringo