Re: [T3] AAHHH!!! Battery acid ate my floor, HELP !!!

--- Rob Carpenter <brnagn7@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So from my previous experience i checked the battery area on my notch,
> nothing but a pinhole, and i repeat just a small microscopic pin hole under
> the battery. So before i installed new one I put down some thick plastic (just
> because i guess).

There's nothing wrong with the plastic, but you probably should have sprayed
something on the metal there that would prevent rust. I like LPS-3, but
engine oil is better than nothing.

> well im restoring this car, i remove all the seats
> and
> notice that the neg. post on battery has that white
> powdery stuff.

That's a sign that the battery post has been abused and the bond between
the post and the plastic case has been broken. The battery acid is wicking
up around the post and attacking the cable. There is no cure for this other
than replacing the battery. Just do it.

Install your new battery yourself. Be gentle with the clamps. NO
HAMMERING! Gently spread the clamp and slip it on the post. Then gently
tighten down the clamp.

I like to dip the clamps in baking soda and water before installing the new
battery. This will neutralize any acid on the clamp.

> I pull the battery, and, aaaaahhhhhh, I see swiss cheese on a German
> car..... Where did i go wrong? was it the battery? the plastic i placed under
> it? something wrong w/ my car that made the battery leak from top? keep in
> mind i hadnt been driving this car much at all.

It's hard to say. Maybe the plastic kept moisture in there. Maybe you drove it
in the rain once and water got in without your realizing it. The  main thing
was that you let the light rust stay that way instead of oiling it.

> can i just tack weld these spots? dont tell me i need to replace the pan...

No, that would be too drastic. You might want to just get a new battery area
welded in, however. It all depends on how deep the rust around the hole is.

> original owners files on the car i have noticed them replacing the battery an
> awful lot, and yes they had the gen. rebuilt. they bought around 9 batterys
> within a two year span.

This sounds like there was a charging system problem that wasn't being
understood. Perhaps a "dead" voltage regulator. There's never a good reason
to need that many batteries. That kind of behavior might make a PO or
previous mechanic get mad at the car and abuse the batteries they were
putting in. It's possible that the acid was already there when you put down
the plastic....