Re: [T3] windshield trim

In a message dated 9/16/02 11:08:02 AM Central Daylight Time,
DGaries808@aol.com writes:

<< Subj:     Re: [T3] windshield trim
 Date:  9/16/02 11:08:02 AM Central Daylight Time
 From:  DGaries808@aol.com
 Sender:    type3@vwtype3.org
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org

 In a message dated 9/16/02 7:46:44 AM Central Daylight Time,

 << Subj:     Re: [T3] windshield trim
  Date:  9/16/02 7:46:44 AM Central Daylight Time
  From:  dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk (Dave Hall)
  Sender:    type3@vwtype3.org
  To:    type3@vwtype3.org

  > European VW's used the cal-look seals, whereas American VW's used the
  > American style with slots for chrome trim. It's hard to digest that
  European
  > style rubber was cal-look without the slots for chrome trim, whereas
  American
  > style has the slots for chrome trim.

  Certainly is hard to digest - it's actually not true!
  AFAIK all Type 3s from Germany originally had the chrome window seal trim.
  The Parts book does not list any windshield rubber as 'without trim groove'
  or similar.   'USA' rubber is just an invented name, and is used by WCM for
  its catalogue to denote 'with trim groove'.

  Maybe someone in the past has confused the standard (=basic) Beetle rubber,
  which was without trim, and may have been the origin of the 'cal' rubber.
  Even then, a standard Beetle is a rare sight indeed.  Some later budget
  model Beetles were also sold without window trim.

  The trim can be removed, but not very easily if the rubber is hard and
  non-flexible due to too much sun.  Leave the rubber on the glass and peel
  down the outer edge to open the groove.  Take time loosening each part
  gradually and use some soapy water to help it slip out.  Don't do it until
  you are ready to reinstall again, or you are bound to bend it in storage.

  Dave.
  UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
  http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/

 I just called WCM and they said exactly what I said: there's two styles, 1)
 Cal look  and 2) American Style.

 Then I called Wolfsburg West. The ole boy's name is Richard. Richard told me
 that  there were three styles: 1) Standard, 2) Cal look, and 3) Export. The
 Standard style is used on most European VW's, the Export style is used on
most  American VW's,
 and the Cal look is an inferior grade of Standard that Wolfsburg West
doesn't
 handle,  used on some Cal look cars.
 .
 I go for Wolfburg West's answer. Maybe, all Type 3's came with Export
rubber,
 but that's about 10 years after the beetles' standard vs. export rubber.

 I just read the West Coast Metric words in VW Trends, August,2002.It's
advertising
 bug rubber, and here's what it says:

Cal-Look Window  Rubber kit $44 a kit. American Style Rubber kit, $76 a kit.
So, it's
WCM who is pushing the nomenclature on us. I made a mistake. My 1952, 1955,
1956, and 1957 beetles all use "export" rubber, though the  1955 uses
European bumpers

 Don Garies
 dgaries808@aol.com