Re: [T3] windshield trim

<x-flowed ISO-8859-1>

DGaries808@aol.com wrote:

Then I called Wolfsburg West. The ole boy's name is Richard. Richard told me that
there were three styles: 1) Standard, 2) Cal look, and 3) Export. The Standard style
is used on most European VW's,

No, no, no. The Standard was used on the "Standard" Type 1, which was mostly sold in Germany. This car, comonly known as the "Sparkäfer" (Low price-Bug) was a simplified 1200 which retaind 6 volt to 1970, it retained the blade bumpers and small oval tail lights up to 72, it had hardly any chrome, a "small" headliner that didnt cover the roof posts and a steering wheel that looks similar to the 68-up bus, without horn half-ring. The Standard didnt have a fuel gauge until 68, and even retained the cable operated brakes all the way up to 1960! This car was, as mentioned, mainly sold on the German market. The only Standard I know of is one 70 model here in my town, and a 73 my friend owned a few years ago, they are really rare here.

the Export style is used on most American VW's,

The Export style was used on all "regular" bugs, VW even called them Export models. Most of the Bugs were "Export" models, this was the standard model for most countries, even in Europe. And it had the chrome rubbers.

and the Cal look is an inferior grade of Standard that Wolfsburg West doesn't handle,
used on some Cal look cars.

The Standard rubber had a little raised "groove" that could almost look like a black chrome strip, if you're imaginative enough.

.
I go for Wolfburg West's answer. Maybe, all Type 3's came with Export rubber, but that's about 10 years after the beetles' standard vs. export rubber.

All type 3's came with the chrome, about 95% or more of all bugs came with the chrome as well. American style is a term invented by US vendors, who knows why.

The Export model of the type 1 was introduced in June 1949, and had chromed bumpers and hubcaps, upholstered seats and a nicer steering wheel as the key factors. Chrome around the windshield was introduced for the export in April 1951, the other windows got the chrome in 1952. The standard was retained as a low price option in Germany and a few select markets.

Sorry for all the Type 1 talk, I just felt it was necessary to clarify the use of the different rubbers.

PerL
73 Variant L