[T3] fuel pump

<x-charset iso-8859-1>the other day while taking a quick trip to the hardware store-i suddenly
smelled a really strong odor of gas. I pulled over le the engine cool for  a
minute(grabbed a muffin ad dunkin donuts) came back and there was  a puddle
of gas under the engine. I oened the engine cover and saw that the brass
looking rod coming out of the fuel pump had come out of the fuel pump and
gas has spurted out of the pump all over the engine.

i put it back in and it seemed rather snug.

what could cause the pump to shoot this thing out, a cloogged fuel line?
is it supposed to be a permanently connectd to the pump, or is something
supposed to hold it in there? How do I unsure that it is connected securley
enough?

thanks for any suggestions.

-kevin
somerville, ma