Re: [T3] Oil Filters (was RE: [T3] Type engine longevity)

Hello again-

Two separate VW dealerships both cited cases they had seen where the
engine developed problems and the customer had done their oil changes at
Jiffy lube and they would not honor the warranty. I have been quoted the
same line at a Land Rover dealership, Ford, etc about using fram filters
in particular. Land Rover goes so far as if they see a fram filter, they
will make a note of it just in case something happens during the
warranty period. The ford motorcraft filter is a relabeled pureolator
(sp?) and the land rover one appears to be either bosch or mann from
inspection, just like the vw one. Whether any truth holds up to these
statements, no one can be certain, considering new car warranties are
cryptic and vauge to protect their own butts. I just look for the
highest quality of manufacturing, best materials, and synthetic fiber
element rather than paper, among other considerations. No matter what
vehicle I put a filter in, be it a yugo (heaven forbid) or a bugatti or
any other modern (or old) car, I would opt for a $7-8 filter over a $3-4
filter any day. Just personal option. There are plenty of oil filter
studies and research up on the web; very interesting reading, especially
if there are pics to boot!

Take care,

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering