Re: [T3] windshield trim

On 15 Sep 2002, at 3:44, DGaries808@aol.com wrote:

> BTW. it's easy take the rubber off - all one has to do is cut the rubber.

I hate to see people do this, unless you're planning to replace the headliner
anyway. I haven't found replacement headliners to fit very well, so it is a real
tragedy to ruin a good one with a simple slip of the knife.

> But reinstalling the rubber is a bitch, requiring some heavy-duty string
> about 1/32-inch in diameter and 1.5 times as long as the rubber that you are
> gonna install.

1/32 is too small. This job is much easier if you use something about 3/16"
dia. I have used both light braided rope and medium insulation covered
stranded electrical wire, both work fine, but if you go too small you run a real
risk of the wire/rope cutting into the rubber. In general, this is a simple job for
two people working together who understand what they are trying to do.

Except for windshields. Those are much harder, simply because there is a
MUCH bigger chance of breaking it.

As for installing the trim, just remember that you MUST install the trim before
the window is in the car.