Re: [T3] Some carb or ignition problems...

On 15 Sep 2002, at 21:23, Ben Doughney wrote:

> on 15/9/2002 6:16 PM, Jim Adney at jadney@vwtype3.org wrote:
>
> > If the vac advance has ANY effect at idle, the vac hose is hooked up to an
> > inappropriate port and will not do the right thing for you. In that case, you
> > are
> > better off leaving the vac advance disconnected and just using the
> > mechanical advance part.
> >
> > The dual advance dists have a vac retard which is expected to do something
> > at idle. This is as it should be.
>
> So on the original distributor, would it have had a hose going to the port
> above the throttle for the vac. advance and another to the port on the
> manifold for the vac. retard?

Most years which have both vac and mech advance don't have the vac retard.
The vac advance connects to a port drilled into the venturi.

I haven't seen carbs made for the vacuum retard also, but I suspect that the
retard port would be drilled into the throttle body and would be specially
placed near the butterfly valve. Placement of this would be rather touchy.