Re: [T3] windshield trim

In a message dated 9/14/02 6:48:20 PM Central Daylight Time,
schroeder@purdue.edu writes:

<< Subj:     [T3] windshield trim
 Date:  9/14/02 6:48:20 PM Central Daylight Time
 From:  schroeder@purdue.edu (Jacob Schroeder)
 Sender:    type3@vwtype3.org
 To:    type3@vwtype3.org

 Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted, I've been busy with
 school and my car as well.  I finally got it to the body shop and it's
 getting some work done as we speak.  Anyways, I recently took the
 windshield out to replace the seal and take care of the rust that had
 formed there, I was very careful removing the chrome trim ring, but it
 was still pretty much demolished (bent and twisted) in the process of
 removing the windshield and seal.  I was wondering if there is any place
 that sells those and the seal that goes with it, the one with the lip,
 for a good price.  Most places that sell it that I have seen want like
 $100 or so for just the seal and I haven't been able to find the chrome
 trim piece.  It's very tempting to go with the cal look seal ($20) right
 about now.  All my other windows still have the original chrome trim in
 good shape, so I really don't want to have to resort to the cal-look
 front windshield seal.  What do you guys think, and do you know where I
 can find the parts I'm looking for?

 Thanks a lot!

 Jacob Schroeder
 '72 FI Squareback

West Coast Metric has the seals, and it they don't have them, chances are
that no one has them. WCM makes most of their own seals  They advertise in
the two rags
Hot VW's and VW Trends. RMMW has a number of the seals, but they just get
them from WCM and sell them at a markup (as do most of the other suppliers).

I wouldn't use the cal-look seals. if I were you. As long as you can still
buy the American style rubber as a general rule don't go to cal-look.
European VW's used the cal-look seals, whereas American VW's used the
American style with slots for chrome trim. It's hard to digest that European
style rubber was cal-look without the slots for chrome trim, whereas American
style has the slots for chrome trim. Generally, you can still buy the chrome
trim from ACM also.

One exception is for very old VW's. I had "American style" rubber on a 1949
Heb and I hadda buy some cal-look rubber because I knew that the Heb never
used American
style rubber. I have no idea what the American style rubber fits.

Don Garies
dgaries808@aol.com