Re: [T3] oil temp

<x-flowed>Understanding that this is in a watercooled car, my 1988 Scirocco 16V runs at 212F (100C) cruising on the highway at 70 mph and only goes up to 230F (110C) once I slow down and then the electric fan turns on and immediately lowers the temp to between 212F and 220F. I would think that the oil thermostats would open at around 180-190F so that the oil is not overcooled which would cause excessive pressure in the system and wouldn't give you the ideal lubrication and cooling of the bearing surfaces.

Greg Irick
Silverdale, WA
gregi@vwtype3.org

'65 Notchback with a Britax sliding rag top. Plans for a 1600cc motor using an AS21 case, with a Resto-Custom flavor. Preps underway for installing some NOS rocker panels, lifting the body from the pan for a pan restoration and welding in some IRS trailing arm mounts onto a swingaxle rear suspension.