[T3] Dual 40 DCNF Carbs

I have heard many stories from both sides of the fence on these.  I
know that they are more difficult to find than the IDFs, but the DCNF
manifolds for type3 are even more difficult to find.  I think that
this is because most everyone has gone to IDFs or the Dellorto
equivalent.  I have a set of 40DCNFs also, and even found a set of
type3 manifolds.  I am itching to try them, but hesitant at the same
time.
I have heard that the DCNF is the smoothest carb for our a/c engines.
They are reported to be a great street carb, but not as powerful as
the IDF when it comes to wide-open throttle.  They may be harder to
tune for the simple fact that the jets and air correcters are not as
readily available as the IDFs.
I have also been told that the fuel bowl orientation is incorrect for
flat four engine (this is true if you read Webers technical papers).
This would cause "flooding" of fuel when going fast around corners, or
as some have reported, even turning into a parking space.  I have also
heard of some sports car racers using DCNFs with a few slight
modifications to overcome this problem.
My verdict is still out on these carbs, until I try them myself.  A
close buddy of mine had them on his 69 type1 and loved them and had no
problems whatsoever.
They do come in different sizes, since they were used on various
Maseratti engines from the factory, and a few other euro cars from the
era.  One nice thing is that you can change the venturis, and they are
completely tunable.  They even have a fuel enrichment circuit for cold
starts...it is not a choke.
I agree with Brian Fye, that they would probably be better with a few
engine enhancements to notice an improvement over the stock carbs.
Although, I think they would be more tunable and smoother, even on a
stock engine (use the smaller venturis).
Just my 2 cents worth from my research.

Brian Schlepp
69 Fasty - "Purple Passion"
desperate for some "dark" engine theories