Re: [T3] Type engine longevity/exhaust system

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Brian:

Let me see if my old brain still remembers this correctly.  I read a book
back in the late 60's early 70's on tuning high performance engines.  You
actually want the exhaust system to scavenge when the exhaust valve first
opens, but want back pressure just before it closes.  This helps suck the
burned fuel out of the cylinder, and promote flow.  just before the valve
closes, you should actually be sucking the new fuel air mixture out of the
exhaust valve.  The back pressure then pushes this mixture back into the
cylinder.  On 2 stroke bikes with expansion chamber pipes, this was what
they called being on the pipe.  The problem is that it only happens in a
narrow RPM range.

Robert M. "Mike" Bradford
Nampa, Idaho
rmbrad@velocitus.net