Re: [T3] oil temp

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hello-

> I guess I was more curious about a suggested oil temp for our engines
> (which you did answer).  I realize it depends on oil used, but I hear
> from alot of people trying to keep oil temps below 180ºF.  This seems
> to cold to me.

You are correct.

> All of my Audis have come from the factory with oil
> temp guages and they run consistently at 210-220ºF.

... that's because the Audi was designed properly :-).

> Ofcourse, it also
> depends on where the reading is taken.  What is the best location to
> read oil temp that matters?

I like to read it *after* the cooler.  That way, you have an accurate
picture of what your bearings are seeing, which is what matters most.

I have a somewhat powerful oil cooling system on my T3, and sometimes
see 20-25F drop from the cooler under certain conditions.  Yes, I'm a
dork and monitor temp before and after the cooler :-).  I only have 5
additional gauges in my dash, but once I hook up my laptop, I have
literally about 50 different readouts of what's going on.  And, if I'm
feeling super dorky, I can make strip charts and make a data logger
from them to study things.

Take care,
Shad Laws
LN Engineering