Re: [T3] 12 volt from a 6 volt t-3

<x-charset iso-8859-1>> > I work for a VW shop in Christchurch New Zealand and a couple of our
owners have
> > a little "black box" device that is fitted to their 6v cars (both KG's
by
> > chance) that allows them to run a 12v CD/cassette unit.

My brother used to run his amateur mobile TX/RX from a 12V battery with
transistor invertor to make the HT for the valves (vacuum tubes, as
invented/improved by Lee De Forest, whose town we stopped at on the way to
Parma.)  It was just an astable multivibrator working at 5KHz I think, with
a small step-up transformer.  The switched DC worked fine with the
transformer.  You would need some sort of smoothing, but I assume
rectification wouldn't be needed if there was no negative-going pulse.
I have one of those low-power devices in the '59 Beetle, but I've not used
it for ages, or looked inside.  It's about half the length of an ignition
coil and similar diameter; I'm sure it would be much smaller these days.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/
------