[T3] Type engine longevity

Marc wrote:
My glasspack that I'm currently
running on my car is a "straight through" design. How
can you get any more free flowing than that?

Straight through does not always promote flow.  It matters on length
and engine tune and operating use.  Actually, my experience with
"glasspack" mufflers was that they were straight through, but at a
reduced diameter.  I have not liked these mufflers for many years, but
maybe design has changed in the last 10 years.  If you have a straight
pipe the same diameter as the header outlet, it still reduces flow,
but may be used to "tune" torque.  When I was racing, we would put
straight tubes on the headers and color them with "temp sensing
crayon" to find the length we wanted for that engines tune.  The
purpose for muffler is to reduce noise, and maybe as a spark
inhibitor.  There was a test in one of the magazines earlier this year
with different kinds of mufflers.  If I remember correctly, the
greatest HP was achieved with dual quiet packs, but we're only talking
differences of 3-5 HP.  Quiet packs are a "turbo" style muffler.  The
best case scenario for an exhaust system is to scavenge all spent
gasses from the combustion chamber and move them outside the car.  I
doubt the muffler affects scavenging as much as the header or manifold
design, but every little bit helps.
I am not a muffler or fluid dynamics expert, so maybe I should not
even comment.  My comments are based on my experience, and as such are
biased and prejudiced.  I am not good at explaining myself or my
thought processes.
I hope someone else chimes in here, with more knowledge.  I probably
need correcting.    Shad??  Mr. Connelly??

Brian Schlepp
69 Fasty - "Purple Passion"