Re: [T3] Type engine longevity...Shad Laws

 My main concern with this engine is excellent
longevity. I'm quite a tame driver. I only want a
little extra "get-up-and-go" for the purpose of
at least attempting to keep up with traffic and to not
get run over when merging into rush hour traffic. A
type 3, in more or less stock form, is not meant to
be driven at 100mph all day and I don't ever expect
to see any prolonged driving at much over 75mph. As
I've said before, I want 100K miles with little else
but oil changes, valve adjustments and tune ups. I
know I'll likely be performing a valve job before 100K,
but i don't want to be completely going through the
engine. With my mild driving manner and the fabulous
help from you and others on this list, I don't think
that's beyond reasonable expectations. As to anyone's
recommendations as far as parts go, go for broke,
because I'm not afraid of cost, really, I just don't
need anything too frivolous. Just strong, reliable
and purposeful.

>IMHO, once you put a welder to a crank, you really should regrind the
>journals.  I know that in theory if you spend enough time you can keep
>it std/std and avoid warping, but in practice I'd have it reground.

                     I agree, most wholeheartedly. Greg
Irick had mentioned in another post, that CB will be
manufacturing 1 piece forged CW cranks. This sounds
like a great alternative to the welded undersize units.
Have you heard anything about them?

>>(3)WebCam "86" Grind with matching Johnson lifters.

>*Maybe* a bit big for an otherwise essentially stock engine.

            You really think so? Even with the head,
exhaust and induction mods I mentioned previously?
What do you think would be a more suitable Webcam
grind? Keep in mind the 88mm P&C's.

>I think he means "Schadek."  They're a Brazilian company that makes
>aluminum-bodied oil pumps.

                 Yes, that is what I meant. My bad.
I've heard great things about the quality of these
pumps. What say you?

>>(9)OEM VW heads with 3 angle valve job, port match,
>>mild port and polish, 40mm by 35.5mm valves, with solid
>>rocker shafts on OEM rockers

>Who's doing the work?  That can make a HUGE difference in quality vs.
>crap...

                 Well, I plan on having Rimco basically
rebuild a set of OEM type 3 EFI heads that I have here,
plus cut them for machine-in 88mm P&C's and enlarge the
valves while they're at it. I plan on doing the port
match and port and polish myself. This will be a VERY
mild port and polish, just basically blending the
intake ports after the port match and polishing the
exhaust ports. I've always had good experiences (albeit
never with a VW head before) with mirror polishing the
exhaust ports to aid flow and just blending the intake
ports, leaving a slightly rougher than polished finish
to aid with fuel atomization. I do not have access to
a flow bench, of course, so I won't be going crazy with
the dremel tool, if you know what I'm saying. Just
blending and polishing, removing as little material as
absolutely necessary. What do you think of my plan for
the heads?

Marc
1967 Fastback

Sign up today at http://mail.lycos.com