[T3] thoughtful list posting

Folks,

I guess it's time for my usual reminder to watch what and how you post. We
seem to be getting more and more posts which just quote the entire previous
message. Remember, you CAN edit!

Take out everything that is not relevant to your reply, and keep in mind that if
you figure that you will just put your response at the top, then there was
probably no reason to include any quoted material at all.

Posts on new topics should also get new subjects. Don't just reply to a
Not that threads can't drift, but we've had a few completely new posts that
were just piggy-backed onto previous threads.

There's a good reason for editing and cutting out extraneous material. I know
that it's EASIER for you to just put your comment in and move on, but think
about the 450 or so people out there who have to download the excess.
Think about the bandwidth that gets wasted every time the same message
gets repeated over and over again and the download time that it takes on the
other end. Remember that not all of us use free T1 connections, and for
those that do, someone had to provide that extra bandwidth for you.

Finally there is the matter of the archives. Greg tries to keep every message.
He can't edit them after the fact and archive space has a way of piling up.
While you may think of it as insignificant, there have been many messages
out there which are 4 times longer than they needed to be, just because of
excess quoted material.

So I encourage everyone to consider the other list members, the list
archives, and the internet bandwidth whenever you post.

thanks for reading,