Re: [T3] Type engine longevity

On 9 Sep 2002, at 22:52, Steven Ayres wrote:

> MarcB=>

> => I would like anyone with an interest to comment on
> => this, as to any mistakes I'm contemplating, etc.
>
> Who will build it?

Very good point! The problems you will have will almost surely be ones which
could have been avoided through more careful or more knowledgable
assembly. What this boils down to is that the elves doing the work make the
engine, not the parts that go into it (although the parts ARE important.)

Getting the work done well is neither simple nor straightforward. If you plan to
do the work yourself, which I recommend, don't expect to get it completely
right your first time. You're probably better off doing a nice simple "practice"
rebuild with inexpensive parts first, so that you can learn "on the job" cheaply
and then think about what you could do better a few years down the road.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054