Re: [T3] Your Weekend

<x-charset iso-8859-1>
 This weekend I worked on a Type 3 club member's Fasty , here in
San Diego . He had problems getting it started for the
first time after he rebuilt the engine. The starter was burned out
(coincidence) , I drove him to a VW shop , they gave him a rebuilt one
for 72 bucks.

Installed it and drove the car around until very wicked bacfiring started,
blowing an air cleaner cover on the road. We pushed the car up a hill
to park it. Car would not start but backfired nicely form the carbs and the
exhaust. I walked a mile to my friend's house to my car . We attempted
to jumpstart the car since the battery was now dead , we found the
points wire bare and rubbing against the dist cam lobe. Then the car started

right away, after all this we tried to sync the carbs the best we could,
I do not know much about dual carbs, just single carb and EFI stuff.

His car is now moving around in an 1800 motor  . We need to fix
his blinker lights next.

LEON MARTINEZ

SAN DIEGO AND TIJUANA