Re: [T3] Timing hole distortion

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hi all,

My timing hole is oval shaped too, so unless Israeli car mechanics of the
60s and 70s learned their job from Muir, the idea must have come from
somewhere else. When I first got the car I didn't realise that the hole was
supposed to be round.

At first I followed Muir and turned the engine over with a screwdriver.
Afterwards I came to dislike the method, because it's slow and it looks like
it could damage the fan. Since then I have used a big spanner to turn the
generator pulley. This worked well once I had my fan belt tensioned
correctly. Originally the belt used to slip on the pulley. You can actually
turn the engine very accurately using the spanner, as I found out when I
timed the engine.

Regards,

Daniel Baum
1969 Type 34 automatic