[T3] delayed maintenance

Dave Hall will attest that the 73 we were driving around in Madison seemed
to be just on the edge of not wanting to work anymore. I had let things slip
for far too long with it and it desperately needed some attention. I'm pleased
to report that I finally got around to it last weekend.

The oil light had been flickering more than it should, so it got an oil change
and a front axle lube. Lubing the front axle also seemed to tame down the
shaking in the steering when it hits certain kinds of bumps.

It didn't have much pep and was even hard to keep going when first started. I
found that the points were almost completely closed down and the timing
was way off. The mech advance was also not working smoothly, so I oiled
the advance and worked it back and forth until it loosened up again. I was
lucky, it didn't take much.

Resetting the points and retiming it was also quick and brought it back to
healthy running. I also cleaned off the dist cam and put on a fresh layer of
fresh cam grease. This was a good reminder of how easy it is to let simple
things get completely out of whack.

The windows had been winding down hard lately, so I pulled off the door
panels and smeared grease in the lift channel at the bottom of both windows.
Instant gratification! It was surprising to find that this was the very first time
the door panels had ever been off of these doors. While I was close, I also
put a few drops of oil in the reservoir on top of each door hinge and a light
smear of grease on each side of each door check strap, hoping this might
stop some squeaking.

All in all, it was a rewarding and well spent afternoon.