except that the pop and clunking goes away.  If I unplug only #4, the rpm
drops and the popping and clunking is still there.

The valve settings for 3/4 were still ok.  I pulled the rocker shaft and
everything looks OK.  The pushrods for #3 look fine and were seated
properly.  The valves ends and springs and stuff look ok.  I could not fish
anything out of the intake port with my magnet when I had it apart.  There
were no metal bits in the oil when I drained and checked it this morning.

I am getting spark at #3.

#3 is obviously cooler to the touch after 5 minutes of running or so too.

I am really at a loss.

I am probably going to pull the engine tonight and pull the 3/4 head off
again and see what I see.  Maybe pull the cylinder and check the rod and
wristpin and stuff.  Don't know what else to check at this point.

Anybody have any other ideas?

The mystery deepens..................

Later,
John Jaranson