Re: [T3] HELP!

On 6 Sep 2002, at 12:37, John Jaranson wrote:

> Also, the manifold gasket that I used is metal and has a small hole inside
> of the sealing surface.  This is the same manifold gasket as shown in the
> Haynes manual.  There is a picture of it here.
>
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/VWManifoldGasket.jpg

This is a beetle gasket. For some reason beetle heads have a locating dowel
where that hole is, and have a mating hole in the manifold.

> I had the gasket installed as shown in above and in the picture below.  This is
> the way it is installed in the Haynes manual as well.  With the manifolds I have
> it looks like I have a direct air leak into the head through this hole due to
> the divot in the manifold between the two ports.  See picture below.  The
> sealing ridge in the gasket spans this divot if the gasket is flipped around,
> btw.

> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/VWGasketHole.jpg

I'm pretty sure this is your problem; I just don't understand why it worked at
all for the trip to Parma. The VW type 3 gasket was just a rather thin paper
gasket, but I have very nice aftermarket ones which are much thicker and
should seal even slightly uneven surfaces well. $1.50 each.

> To add to the problem, it doesn't look like my manifold mating surface was
> flat.  See picture below.  This was taken after briefly surfacing it on a
> plate of 1/4 inch glass.  I have since gotten the surface flat by continung to
> work it.
>
> http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jaransonT3/VWManifoldFlat.jpg

Any estimate of how much out of true that surface was?

> I am going to pull the other manifold and check it to see where how I
> oriented the gasket.  I did reuse the old gaskets, btw.  Could be part of
> the problem.  My bad, I know.

I reuse good gaskets all the time. You just got screwed by the fact that the
normal gasket sets don't include the correct gasket. They would still have
worked fine if the manifold didn't have that kerf in it. I'm gonna have to check
the manifolds I have in my basement to see if they are the same.

Congratulations, I think you're out of the woods now. Let me know if you
want some good gaskets.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org