Re: [T3] starter sealer???

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Yes; I've had this problem on and off over many years and still don't know
exactly why it happens.  Lots of things help - a bit better connections, a
tap on the motor body, Russ' 'quarter' across the terminals, the brief
restart immediately after stopping when hot, a relay in the solenoid circuit
or a separate starter button with direct battery connection.

Since a physical bang can make it work (Jason had to do that once on the way
to Parma, I think) there must be something moveable in the motor that then
makes better contact.  If the motor can't inch round and pre-engage, you
can't get the main solenoid contacts to meet, so brushes not touching very
well is my no.1 suspect.  Could be expansion of the commutator and
subsequent contraction that leaves the brushes hanging a bit and not making
good enough contact.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/