Re: [T3] type IV engine in a type III

On 4 Sep 2002, at 23:58, Wilson wrote:

> If you have a T3 that is without the frame horns (69' and above I beleive)
> you need to have extra support to handle not as much the weight but the
> extra torque. Some guys just go with a rear engine and mid tranny support,
> but from my understanding it would not be nealy as safe. If you have frame
> horns already the job is MUCH easier.

The only significant additional torque will be about the axle shaft axis. There
is some around the fore-and-aft axis, but that just relates to the reaction
torque to the additional rotating mass during acceleration, which is not that
much.

The front mount and IRS rear mount are perfectly positioned to take up the
additional axle torque, while any center mount, like the early wishbone, is
too close to the axles to help much.

On the other hand, it is certainly convenient.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054