Re: [T3] starter sealer???

On 4 Sep 2002, at 22:54, Russ wolfe wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 18:10, Dave Hall wrote:
>

> > Hot starting problems for starter motors are very common - the sort that
> > responds to a tap on the casing must be something to do with a bad contact
> > between things that can move - ie brushes and commutator, or physical jamming.
> >  Often better connections stops the problem for a time; even a new battery
> > might 'cure' it for a while.
> >
> Even on Jim A.'s car. But a quarter across the terminals started it in a
> rest area along Interstate 80 in the middle of Nebraska.

Yes, I've had this happen on a couple of my AT type 3s. It is not just the ign
switch and/or the neutral safety switch. I only happens on long drives in very
hot weather.

I suspect that it is just the copper starter & solenoid windings warming up,
which increases their resistance to the point where the current is limited to
something below the pull-in current.

OTOH, Dave suggested that we try re-starting as soon as we shut off the
engine, just as a test and to exercise the starter, and this seemed to always
work AND to make the starter ready to go 5 minutes later when we really
needed it. This observation makes the problem harder.

Is your memory of this the same as mine, Dave?

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054