From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>
To: <type3@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 05, 2002 5:28 AM
Subject: Re: [T3] Modern a/c

On 4 Sep 2002, at 9:19, Shad Laws wrote:

> So, enjoy the A/C on the cruise, but turn it off when you have to show
> the rice burner next to you who's boss :-).

IIRC, there was a time when the only device that the EPA had ever tested
and found to work as advertized (to improve fuel economy) was a vacuum
switch which disabled the AC compressor when you really put your foot
down. I always thought this was a good idea, but it just never caught the
public's fancy because it just wasn't as sexy as magnets in the gas tank.

I think I have seen these for sale even in the last few years. They would do
what Shad suggests, automatically.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org