Re: [T3] [T3] Caliper Pad Alignment

On 3 Sep 2002, at 19:48, Mark Fuhriman wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:20:54 -0600 Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org> wrote:

> Jim, a lot of *IFs* here.  So the OEM cutouts and alignment plates are
> supposed to keep the pistons from cocking and wearing the outside pads
> unevenly?  To rephrase, will a typical Brazilian aftermarket caliper cause the
> alignment problem that he is seeing?

Yes, I'm guessing.  ;-)

The cutouts are supposed to promote even wear over the full face by
preventing the uneven wear that happens normally when you press a pad
against a surface that is moving "sideways" with respect to the pad. If there
is something wrong with the cutouts or the hardware, it could cause a
problem.

I suspect that typical Brazilian calipers wear the lower edges MORE, rather
than less, but that the difference was small enough that the makers decided
no one would notice enough to complain.

Whatever the cutouts do, or don't do, they do it for both inside and outside
pads. So I am left with bad machining or alignment hardware out of place.