Re: [T3] the mystery begins

On 2 Sep 2002, at 21:50, Russ wolfe wrote:

> Since the '66 needs to be rebuilt, I decided to to tear down the engine
> from my parts car the rest of the way. I thought this engine had rod
> bearings out because the pistons on 1 and 3 had been hitting the head. I
> was wrong. I don't know why they were hitting, but the rod bearings were
> fine. The rods were very early rods I think, as they have rod bolts, not
> nuts like the newer rods. BUT. they are marked with a casting number of
> 311 101 411a, so they are 1500/1600 rods. Can someone with a parts book
> look them up for me??

Rods with bolts were used up to engine 1100000, the end of '65. I think
there's an error in my microfilm; I don't have a good number for the rod.

The late one always has 311B cast into it, so I expect it to be a 311 xxx yyy
B, but what the microfilm lists is 311 198 401 which has got to be a repair kit
of some kind. In fact there's the implication that this is a kit of nuts and a
bushing for a rod (or set of 4 rods....)

> The crank is a .010" undersize, on both mains and road bearings, and the
> case is line bored .020 oversize with a cut thrust. The crank is a late
> cross drilled.
> The pistons are not stock, and I don't have that large a micrometer that
> large at home. I think they are 87mm because the cylinder walls seem
> awful thin. There are no markings on them that I can see, but I haven't
> cleaned them completely yet. they look fairly new, and don't have many
> miles.
> The mystery is---- why were the pistons hitting the heads????

Cylinders sinking into the case?

Other cylinders have shims?

Alignbored off center?

Crank cracked and wobbling?

Different pistons with different pin heights? (Perhaps indicative of J C
Whitney quality.)

Interesting. I remember the engine. Let us know what you finally figure out.