[T3] the mystery begins

Since the '66 needs to be rebuilt, I decided to to tear down the engine
from my parts car the rest of the way. I thought this engine had rod
bearings out because the pistons on 1 and 3 had been hitting the head. I
was wrong. I don't know why they were hitting, but the rod bearings were
fine. The rods were very early rods I think, as they have rod bolts, not
nuts like the newer rods. BUT. they are marked with a casting number of
311 101 411a, so they are 1500/1600 rods. Can someone with a parts book
look them up for me??
The crank is a .010" undersize, on both mains and road bearings, and the
case is line bored .020 oversize with a cut thrust. The crank is a late
cross drilled.
The pistons are not stock, and I don't have that large a micrometer that
large at home. I think they are 87mm because the cylinder walls seem
awful thin. There are no markings on them that I can see, but I haven't
cleaned them completely yet. they look fairly new, and don't have many
miles.
The mystery is---- why were the pistons hitting the heads????

--
Russ Wolfe