[T3] Disturbing Engine Noise

<x-flowed>The other day on the way to work, my 68 Notchback started making a noise when the idle speed increases. The noise is kind of hard to describe, kind of a pinging noise, but a little more destructive sounding than that, like some pieces of metal are hitting each other.

I thought it might be the generator, so I took off the generator belt and started it up, but the engine still made the same noise when I revved it up. So now I'm thinking it might be the distributor.

Use this link to listen to the noise:

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/gtrask7/lst?.dir=/Volkswagen&.order=&.view=l&.src=bc&.done=http%3a//my.yahoo.com/preview/briefcase.html

You'll see a link titled "Volkswagen Engine Noise". You should be able to play the wav file if you click that link.

Any ideas?

Gary Trask
'68 Notchback