Re: [T3] Distributor question...

On 31 Oct 2002, at 17:10, Billy wrote:

> On my '70 (Australian) Notchback there is a second hose running from the
> carburettor to the distributor. When I got it this had been blocked off,
> just a bolt in the tube leading to the carbie.

It sounds like you're describing a dist that has both vacuum advance and
vacuum retard, probably in addition to mechanical advance. It is most likely
that the vac retard hose has been disabled. The vacuum retard hose comes
out of the face of the vac can facing the dist body.

These dists require special timing proceedures, and many people are not
familiar with them. The retard part of this assembly also appears to be more
likely to break than the advance side. For all these reasons, this is often
disabled.

When working properly, the retard should be hooked up to a port on the carb
that provides vacuum only on idle. When you give it any gas at all this
vacuum goes away and the retard goes with it. In effect it gives you about  10
deg of "instant" advance as soon as you press on the pedal.

I THINK most of these setups were intended to end up timed at about 5 deg
retard at idle, jumping to 5 deg advance as soon as you give it some gas.

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org
Madison, WI 53711-3054