Re: [T3] Funny Fuel Tank Behavior

On 30 Oct 2002, at 21:49, Ben Doughney wrote:

> I filled up with petrol tonight, and when I took the petrol cap off, it made
> a sucking noise as if the tank had a vacuum in it. Also, earlier this
> afternoon, while getting some stuff out of the boot, I heard a weird
> bubbling (gurgling) noise coming from the fuel tank. This was with the car
> parked on a hill, nose down.

Your breather is clogged. I don't know if the Aussys got the evaporative
emissions control system, with the overflow tank and the charcoal cannister,
but your tank would have a breather of some kind. There will be some 3mm
steel pipe in this system which has rusted up on the inside and is no longer
admitting air as you use up gas. you will need to repair/replace this so that
your tank doesn't get crushed by air pressure as gas is used up.