[T3] Gawd I love my car

It's true. I had a 67 fastback when i was 12 years old.
My dad made me drive myself to hockey practice when i
was 14, i had the coolest car as a 15 year old, then my
friends all turned 16 and got roadrunners, camaros and
mustangs and I sold the fast for $300 becuase i didn't
have any idea how to fix anything. It am amazed now how
far the car went without an Oilchange or adjusting the
valves. I bought a 83 Celica then a 83 Supra, a 67 GMC
pick-up, an 83 Jetta then a 96 Lumina. All the while
feeling worse and worse about selling 'the onion' as my
friends call her. (she was off white with red pin
stripes, you get the picture).

I met Lesley Menzies and Dale through work, She is a
type 1-2-3 VW nut (they have restored 7 aircooleds to
date) and are now diving into a rabbit just for a
change. We talked about VW's and i told her how much i
regretted selling my 67. She said she knew of one but
the owner was not selling. 3 years later, he's selling.
My wife has seen pictures of restored fastys and wants
one. I speak with this guy on the phone, he wants
$800.00 canadian. My wife and I talk about it and we
hedge away becuase of the price. How much work does
this car require for $800C?

Well Lesley goes to this guy for some parts, and takes
some pictures of the car. Well that did it, we go get
the car, a few weeks later we scare the mice and
spiders out of it and assess what we have....

1969 Type 3 Fastback. Loaded.
- Fuel injected, works great after dropping motor,
cleaning, replacing fuel and air lines, exhaust shook
out (mouse tirds), motor replaced, new oil, and she
fires up no prob.
- Auto Tranny. Up and down the alley, shifts, kicks
down, runs very smooth.
- Heater Booster, I didn't know sucha thing existed,
but very excited to find it.
- sunroof, works, nuff said
- some cool things the 67 didn't have like rear
defrost, highback seats, external fuel filler (although
I did enjoy the looks i got popping the hood and
filling the gas on the 67), spare tire washer pressure,
etc, and most of all 46,000 original miles.

I think about this car during the day, the night, at
work, all the time. I want to drive this car so bad!!
My wife, of all people, wants me to fully restore, i
want to rustslow and drive. there is minimal rust on
her, rear quarters at the back, left headlight, that's
about it for any rust at all. I would like to restore
her, won't take much, but MAN I WANT TO DRIVE HER!!!! I
feel like I should buy another VW to drive so I can
work on 'Petula' (this was my wifes internet Nick when
i met her on internet 7 years ago, My name was
Brodieman and I'm saving that name for my singlecab
when i get one).

Anyhoo, i am going on and on, but i just LOVE this car
and want to show her off to the world. Whatever shape
she's in next August, I am coming to Parma, just to see
that many type 3's in one place. Since I owned my 67, I
have seen only 5 or 6 type 3's in person.

My wife thinks i am crazy, i could sit in my Garage and
just look at my car for hours (maybe with some sports
talk on the radio)

ok, enough....

Neil