[T3] RR Brake (?) thumping

    For several weeks I've heard a subtle thumping noise when braking
hard to a stop.  It appears to be coming from right rear, and
frequency is at wheelspeed (car in neutral).  If I brake lightly, no
noise.  The other day I tried the e-brake and immediately heard loud
thumping/crashing in RR.
    I pulled of the hub today, disassembled all the pads, springs,
e-brake lever etc. and can't find a thing amiss.  No rub marks, loose
parts etc.  There is no wheel play or axle movement, brake adjustment
was w/in a click or two.  Where else to look?  The rear suspension
seems tight, nothing loose.

Peter Parker
'66 Square; Phillip
Portland, OR