Re: [T3] Annoying electrical problem

 Daniel wrote:
>The problem is, that when I start the car after not having used it for some
>time (a few days to a couple of weeks) it blows a fuse. I can turn on the
>ignition and the two warning lights light up, but then when I switch on the
>starter, the fuse blows. It is always the same one. In the Haynes diagram it
>is No. 8 (counting from the left), connected between the voltage regulator
>terminal B+ and terminal 30 of the hazard warning light switch. This, as you
>can see, is a pretty major wire, and the fuse is just 8 amps. Could that be
>the problem?

Daniel, are you talking about the diagram on page 163? If so, it might be
your dome light switch or dome light connection as it also gets power from
the same fuse. You may also want to check over the black(? not sure about the
color when the diagram is in black and white) wire that goes to the ignition
switch to see if it might be grounding on something. Those 2 items are really
the only ones that are fused at that location.

> Would it be safe to put a bigger fuse in instead?

 No, don't do that as you risk burning up the car doing that.

>Most of my electrical components are standard, but my voltage regulator is
of the >new solid state type. After I change the fuse everything works
happily for the rest of >the day.

Maybe after changing the fuse you've moved something that allows this to
happen, but the regulator being solid state shouldn't make a difference.

> However, if there were a short, wouldn't it always blow the fuse? Every
other short I >have ever created consistently blew a fuse until I fixed it.

You would think that, but it might be something thats drawing extra current
for that brief moment, or maybe something that is just intermitant.

 I don't know if this helped or not but it might give you a couple of ideas.
Let us know what you find though as it might help someone else.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       69 Squareback-AT