[T3] Annoying electrical problem

Hi all,

I have a nagging electrical problem which I have been unable to diagnose.

First of all, my car, when I first got it, had no wiring, so I had some
decisions to make. In the end, I decided to wire it according to the
"12-Volt - Non-USA" wiring diagram in the Haynes manual. I have kept to the
diagram more-or-less exactly as it is the most suitable for the components
that I have of all the diagrams that I had, no two of which seemed to be the
same.

The problem is, that when I start the car after not having used it for some
time (a few days to a couple of weeks) it blows a fuse. I can turn on the
ignition and the two warning lights light up, but then when I switch on the
starter, the fuse blows. It is always the same one. In the Haynes diagram it
is No. 8 (counting from the left), connected between the voltage regulator
terminal B+ and terminal 30 of the hazard warning light switch. This, as you
can see, is a pretty major wire, and the fuse is just 8 amps. Could that be
the problem? Would it be safe to put a bigger fuse in instead? Most of my
electrical components are standard, but my voltage regulator is of the new
solid state type. After I change the fuse everything works happily for the
rest of the day.

Previously I suspected a short in the wiring jungle behind the dash.
However, I have tidied that up, and it still happens. However, if there were
a short, wouldn't it always blow the fuse? Every other short I have ever
created consistently blew a fuse until I fixed it.

I realise this is a difficult question but I would really appreciate any
advice anyone may have.

Regards,

Daniel Baum
1969 Type 34 automatic