Re: [T3] Heads -- which, where to get? Hemi story sorry

Hemi engine ?

All of this confusion about semi hemi has gotten me to put my
5 cents in too.

Hemi engine is not a new concept, it is actually very old.

This is the little I know, very quick blurbs.

In around 1917 there was an engine that powered some aircraft for British
fighters it was a V12 with dual overhead cam for each head. It was
unbalanced, assembled in
many peices , had gears to drive the cams, engineering was extremely
primitive in those
days so the engine output was limited to 75 horses.

Italian race cars like Buggati and others began to experiment with Hemi
engines and dual
overhead cams in the 20's and 30's they were moving away from the "flat
heads" that were
common. American cars did not have these designs, except in some airplane
designs
and special military vehicles, the British were far ahead in this aspect.

Italian cars and some special Mercedes were in the forefront in the building
of hemi
engines in the 1930's .

In 1932 Ford started to cast it's V8 engine with a flatheads but their
experimental side
of the house built several dual overhead cam V8 engines, these were not put
out because
they were extremely expensive, unreliable and unecessarly complicated for
regular cars
of the times. The flat head was common through the 30's, 40's and early
50's.

The VW bug engine in the 1930's was one of the most advanced production
engines of
it's time since the valves were in the head and not in the block and it
even had an unheard of oil pump (very rare in those days).

German, English, and Italian specialty production cars only used Hemi's with
overhead
cams since the 1930's .

One American company with it's production engine was able to compete with
the world in racing
 (German, English and Italian) was Offenhouser .

See picture:
http://www.replicaengines.com/products/offenhauser.htm

It started as a machineshop in the 1930's a was pumping out its racing
engines like hotcakes,
every racer wanted it's dual overhead cam Hemi engine with pop up pistons.
In the 1940's
Offenhouser even experiemented with Fuel injection due to the need for
speed.
All American racecars used the Offenhauser engine without exeption and this
left the
Europeans in the dust. It made racers win every race against the Europeans.

 The Offenhouser engine was later replaced by the Ford Coswoth engine in the
late 50's thru
the 80's. All formula racers are dual overhead cam with hemi chambers and
dome pistons.

Back to production cars, In the late 40's Chrysler, Desoto, Packard started
to build an engine
with the Hemi characteristics to install in their top of the line production
cars. They had a
single in engine cam with canted valves in the head. The canted valves in
the head, simulated
the design that the race cars had. the spark plugs were at an angle and not
well placed.
Head design was expensive and required a complicated valvetrain. The
production lasted around 12
years and was replaced by a cheaper production design which was commonly
known as the 440
with a wedge combustion chamber design.

At this time , virtually all European engines were of the true Hemi design.

 During the mid production of the Chrysler semihemi engine , the company was
buildingthe top of the line
Hemi that everyone knows well , this engine was for their top of the line
cars and speed demons
from the 50's,60's and 70's . Production ended in the 80's but started again
as a crate engine in 1999
since the demand was high for drag racers with the top speed of 300 mph in 6
seconds more or less.

This engine from Chrysler is in high demand because it is chunkier, has
forged guts requres less
mechanical parts to make it a HEMI , most engines today (latest) run long
rubber belts or chains to
do the dual overhead cam hemi thing but will not take up to 15000 rpm take
offs that dragsters need
sometimes . Not Marketing this engine is of the highest demand for all super
dragsters. Go to one
of those dragster events,  notice most have the sparkplug wires in the
middle of the top
of the giant valve covers , that is the Chysler hemi engine. Fun to watch
tme flames blow out the
exhaust. Ford and Chevy Motorsports have similar (very special, non
production) products in
their catalogs.

Bottom line for this design was cost and our high production product
industry was falling behind by
producing more products of cheaper design that would be accepted by the
consumer.

Ford and Chevy tried to simulate this design earlier by the design of their
big block engines
(429/460 and 454) they used canted valves in their design to simulate the
semi Hemi and
their motorsorts division even had full hemi designs for their racing
customers.

They had specialty engines with modified heads and pistons to match for
example Ford
had modified 390 (427 FE block) in their GT 40's and modified 302's in later
GT 40's competing against all the Supercars in Europe (Ferraris, Porches,
Lambrogini's etc..)
Ford beat them all in the Lemans and Grand Touring Super races, it was a
combination
of modified (semi hemi)combustion chambers, pistons, size and good breathing
the American
design was closing on the Europeans.

Look in the Summit Racing catalog , Hemi is tops.

All american 4 bangers had the Hemi design in the late 70's, the Japanese
made it standars in all of their
cars in the 80's. All 4 strock motorcycle engines have been of the Hemi
design since the 60's.

All American car engines are Hemi designs , like the Cadillac's Northstar ,
Fords Triton engines
just to name a couple.

Why has the world gone Tru Hemi ? Combustion efficiency. The Hemi Combustion
chamber coupled
with the dome pistons are of a matched design that are machine to prevent
all hotspots and squeeze
the gasses staight up into the top of the dome where the spark plug is
located. Gasses explode
very symetrically pushing the piston in a symetrical fashion.

With this design, racers have been able to pump out up to 5000 horspower out
of an American
V8 engine for drag racing.

The lack of hot spots has given these engines the capability to increase
compression up to
15 to 1 ratio without destroying the engine.

Some aftermarket companies (including for VW's) have been designing pistons
contours to
match the head's combustion chambers of older engine designs  to create burn

symetry and prevent damaging hotspots.

As everyone is discussing semi Hemi cut heads in our aircooled engines and
not knowing
the history of why , I thought Id give you this story.

If Semi Hemi works to lower compression of an engine good, it will work for
the daily driver
who wants a longer lasting engine because the bottom engine end gets less
stress heads
do not pull them bolts as much and less knocking makes happier valves.

I know because I experiemented with a 460 (8 liter) engine in my 67 T-bird
(RIP) . I got it to make
a compression of 12 :1 ratio it was a lightening fast Corvette killer, made
Porsches look
lame , left them in my exhaust. This engine only lasted a few months of Zoom
but it was fun. It
was a rebuilding nightmare, then I lowered the compression by adding several
copper head
gaskets and the compression was reduced to 9:1 it gave me several years of
trouble free
service (300 miles per day) until it was stolen and driven off a bridge.

To take advantage of a semi hemi cut VW head , when lots of power is wanted
using higher
compression, one needs to make the piston top to match , semi hemi in my
opinion is superior
in removing hot spots but can only be taken advantage if the piston is
made/designed for it
when high power is desired .

These are not gimmicks but old fashion engineering, the why's was just
confusing everyone.
I have worked on so many types of engines (Fiats, Jaguars, Mercedes, Beamers
, Volvos
old Ferraris, Dodge,Chevy, Fords, trucks, motorcycles etc...all old stuff)
and people that I observed
and experienced all of this. Hemi is new to production cars in the last 30
years.

These engines can be improved but the secret is in the piston/combustion
chamber
design , flowing the intake and exhaust is for speed but the combustion burn
is
for the efficiency in the use of fuel.

Thats my 5 cents.

LEON MARTINEZ